There is no denying that Snickers slice is almost impossible to pass up… Especially when it is gluten, dairy, grain and refined sugar free, raw (almost*), vegan and (almost*) Paleo. Yup, this is one dessert you can almost feel good about eating.I have also added a fructose friendly option** for the FODMAPs amongst you. But like all things, this is best enjoyed in moderation (i.e. give away slices to friends/housemates/randoms on the street so you don’t eat it all in one go).
*The peanut butter in this means that it is not 100% raw, since the peanuts are roasted before blending. Peanuts are also a legume and on a truly strict Paleo diet legumes are excluded. For an alternative, you could use raw almond butter, or any other nut butter of your choice.
**For those who are fructose intolerant, instead of dates in the base use about 2 Tbsp coconut oil and then a little rice malt syrup or even stevia (1/4 tsp) to sweeten. Rice malt syrup is fructose-free, so it is a better option for those who can’t tolerate fructose. However, it is still a form of sugar (glucose), hence it is best to enjoy this slice in moderation.
SNICKERS SLICE (Gluten Free//Dairy Free//Sugar Free//Vegan//Grain Free)
- 1 cup almonds (preferably soaked at least 8 hours and then drained)
- 1 cup desiccated/shredded coconut (sulphate free & organic if possible)
- 1/2 cup dates, soaked in hot water and drained
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 1/2 cup almonds (soaked 8 hours)
- 1/2 cup macadamias (soaked 8 hours)
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp rice malt syrup
- Chopped peanuts, almonds (optional)
- Blend all base ingredients together (in blender or food processor) until a thick crumbly paste forms. Press into lined baking tin and place in the freezer to set.
- Blend Snickers filling layer ingredients together until smooth and very sticky (it should almost be too sticky to spread). Spread over the base and press down until flat and then place back in the freezer.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small bowl over a pot of simmering water (or in the microwave, checking and stirring regularly. Once melted stir in the rice malt syrup and raw cacao until combined. Pour over the frozen filling and then sprinkle chopped nuts over the top so they set in the chocolate.
- Place back in the freezer until completely set. Cut into slices and serve cold (from fridge or freezer).
Love Erica x