When I think about food and summer two things come into my mind: smoothies and salads. This rainbow salad is honestly super easy and quick to make, tastes fabulous and is very refreshing and light, perfect for summer. I was inspired to make this by the many raw, vegan foodies Peta and I follow on Instagram, and whilst I do not follow a raw or vegan diet, I do appreciate the fresh lightness of the food! So basically, if you can chop and turn on a blender then you can have this ready in about 10 minutes – tops.
Raw Rainbow Salad
- 1 handful kale, torn
- 1 small beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup purple cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- Small handful of sprouts
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 10 activated almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (preferably activated too)
- 1 large dollop of homemade hommus (details below)
- Chia seeds to sprinkle on top
- Olive/coconut oil
1. First, tear up the kale and place it in a largish bowl. Drizzle olive or coconut oil over the top and massage the kale and oil together. Yes, massage. Put your hands in the bowl and gently massage the kale until it becomes a bit softer and the oil is mixed through. This step helps to make the kale taste AH-mazing and mixes the oil through.
2. Add to the mix the grated carrot, beetroot, corn, almonds and pumpkin seeds. Mix through (you can use a spoon this time).
3. Top with sprouts, avocado, hommus and chia seeds. Mix all ingredients together well and then enjoy (devour!).
*To make the hommus, Peta soaked chickpeas overnight (approx. 10 hours) and then cooked them (45 minutes). Once they had cooled I made hommus using the Deliciously Ella app on my phone, by blending all the ingredients in the Vitamix. Ella’s hummus recipe is also available here.
What is your favourite salad?