In winter there is nothing quite like a warm bowl of deliciousness for breakfast, and this quinoa apple-blueberry crumble ticks all the boxes. It is warm, cinnamon-y, sweet, textured and satisfies even the most insatiable sweet tooth with the natural goodness of fruit. Plus the crumble topping and yogurt adds a protein, good fats and probiotic hit to ‘top’ it all off (punny?). I adapted this recipe from the ever-inspiring and fantastic Sarah Wilson at I Quit Sugar (see the link below), except because I just wanted breakfast for one, I changed the ratios of ingredients and created the perfect one-person serving shown below.
Quinoa Apple-Blueberry Breakfast Crumble
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/6 cup nuts and seeds (I used walnuts, pecans and sunflower seeds)
- 1/6 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut.
- Very small pinch of salt.
- 1-2 tablespoons rice malt syrup/honey
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted.
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- Full fat natural yogurt to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease one small ramekin with coconut oil. Combine nuts and seeds together in a food processer, until small chunks. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the quinoa, coconut, cinnamon and salt.
2. Combine the rice malt syrup/honey and melted coconut oil in a separate bowl, then add to the quinoa mixture and stir.
3. Mix together the diced apple and blueberries in the ramekin, leaving about 1.5cm space at the top for the crumble. Gently pour the quinoa crumble mixture over the top of the fruit in the ramekin, press down a little if required.
3.Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden. Serve warm with yoghurt.
- This recipe would also work as a larger crumble for dessert, the full recipe serves 6-8 people.
I Quit Sugar has heaps of wonderful, sugar-free recipes that are also gluten and often dairy free. See more on the blog.