Healthy pizza bases can be elusive at times and totally disastrous at others. Oh how many times I have attempted the cauliflower pizza base, only to end up with a pile of cauliflower mush and some pizza toppings that resembles more a rubbish heap. Still, it tasted fantastic! But it appears that Peta and I may have just found a winning recipe – sweet potato pizza bases. They are gluten, grain, dairy and sugar free, and most importantly they aren’t full of refined white flours, such as wheat flour, rice flour, potato and corn starch (nasty). It’s all simple to prepare and stays together surprisingly well considering our previous attempts. These bases even had a lovely crunch around the edges. YAY! So here it is:
Sweet Potato Pizza Bases (makes 2 individual bases or 1 large base)
- 1 steamed sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea (besan) flour (coconut flour would also work, however you should use less as it is drier than most flours)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- Herbs and toppings of your choosing
1. Preheat oven to 220C.
2. Blend cooked sweet potato with flours, chia seeds, coconut oil, baking powder, salt and pepper until thick paste forms.
3. Spread base into a circular shape on an oiled baking tray/ceramic pizza tile.
4. Place in oven and bake at 220C for about 30 minutes until crispy and almost completely cooked.
5. Remove from oven and add toppings of your choice. Place back into oven until cooked to your liking!
Have you had success with any other pizza base recipes? I would love to try new recipes.