Sweet potato and avocado are two of the most popular foods in our house. Peta and I will literally buy kilos of sweet potatoes and more than five avocados in one trip to the supermarket. And that might only last us a few days! Needless to say the awesomely delicious combo of crunchy sweet potato fries and smashed (mashed avocado) went down a treat. It has taken me a while to perfect the art of sweet potato fry making, I usually drown them in a little too much oil and they end up soggy *sigh*. But with a little more attention to detail, some salt and other yummy toppings I have nailed it!
Sweet potato fries are the perfect alternative to normal fries, as they are baked in good oils, not fried in toxic trans fatty vegetable oils. They are a great healthy comfort food and can be a whole lunch or a side dish. Sweet potato packs a nutritional punch, with loads of Vitamin A, beta-carotene, complex carbohydrates, plus other vitamins and minerals. And they are the best colour ever! Avocado, of course, is a great natural source of good monounsaturated fats, protein and vitamins and minerals. Together they are the perfect pair.
Sweet Potato Fries with Smashed Avocado
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sea salt
- 1/2 large avocado
1. Preheat the oven to 200-220C. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into your desired ‘fry’ shape. We like long and thin.
2. Place the sweet potato fries into a baking tray. Melt coconut oil and pour over the top. Add a good shake of salt, pepper, lots of cinnamon and paprika. Using your hands mix the sweet potato with oil and spices until evenly coated.
3. Place fries in the oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until crispy and starting to brown on the edges.
4. Whilst fries are cooking, mash the avocado in a bowl until a nice, smooth guacamole forms. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice if desired.
5. Remove fries from oven, serve with mashed avocado.
What are some of your staple foods?