This smoothie is the perfect breakfast brain food – full of good fats and protein to fuel your brain and keep you full until your next meal. In fact, one smoothie I made was so filling I couldn’t eat it all in one go, a rarity for someone with an appetite like mine! It is basically like eating chocolate mousse for breakfast, except it is actually avocado and cacao, two powerful anti-inflammatory, protein, vitamin and antioxidant rich superfoods.
I found the inspiration for this creation from Hungry for Change’s post about why chocolate is good for you (best news ever, I know!). I added and subtracted ingredients according to the contents of my cupboard and voilà, a delicious, healthy and filling breakfast smoothie that you can top with all your favourites.
Avocado Cacao Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2-3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 small handful almonds/cashews
- 1-2 tsp raw honey/rice malt syrup
- Almond milk to blend
1. Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Add more almond milk as necessary until mousse consistency is reached.
2. Place smoothie in a bowl and top with your favourite muesli, superfoods or fruit.