Sorry about the lack of posts in the last two weeks, I have been happily enjoying my school holiday break and cooking up a storm – I have plenty of recipes to share with you soon! I was once again inspired by Kate at Finger, Fork and Knife and her recipe for Pumpkin Cacao Nib Loaves. I altered her recipe to make it gluten, sugar and dairy free and it turned out a treat! This is like the pumpkin version of carrot cake and tastes fantastic, in fact I think carrot would work wonderfully in this recipe.
The loaf is full of protein thanks to the almond meal, walnuts, buckwheat and coconut flours and cacao nibs, plus the cashews on top. I finally got myself a jar of rice malt syrup, which is fructose-free (unlike my normal sweetener of honey) and I was delighted with the results, a subtly sweet loaf with a twist of cinnamon.
Let me know what you think!
Pumpkin Cacao Nib Loaf with Cashew Cheese Icing
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup (or honey or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin, mashed
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple sauce (or cooked apples)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or almonds, hazelnuts, pecans)
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- Cashew Cream Icing:
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup
- Water to mix
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Mix together (or blend if you are super lazy like me) eggs, pumpkin, olive oil, almond milk, water, apple sauce and rice malt syrup.
3. In a bowl combine wet mix with dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into loaf tin and spread evenly, flattening the top slightly.
4. Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through. Allow to cool before icing.
5. For icing blend all ingredients together and add water as needed until smooth consistency is reached. Spread over cooled loaf and sprinkle cinnamon and cacao nibs on top.