Hope you liked my attempt at a festive pun! It has been a little while since I have posted, mostly because I have been extra busy creating and trying lots of new and wonderful recipes and getting to know my KitchenAid appliances really, really well. Today, as a little pre-Christmas treat from me to you, here are a heap of recipes I (and Peta) have tried in the last few weeks.
1. Cacao & Cinnamon Crunch Granola (The Whole Pantry App)
Just in case you haven’t heard of this great new app by Belle Gibson (aka Healing Belle @healing_belle), you NEED it, trust me! It’s free at the moment, and if not then it is well worth the $3. This granola is simple to make and incredibly, mind-blowingly delicious. It has the perfect balance of crunch, chewy-ness and cinnamon flavour. We substituted quinoa flakes for coconut flakes. Belle is a major inspiration, so you should also follow her on Instagram for plenty of drool-worthy food photos! And just as we put up this photo on @berryberryhappyblog, Belle liked it. Needless to say we got pretty excited.
2. Sweet Egg White Omelette
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- Honey/maple syrup to desired sweetness
- Almond meal (optional, for more ‘pancake-y’ taste)
- Fresh fruit, berries and yogurt to top
1. Mix egg whites, almond milk, honey, cinnamon and almond meal together to make batter.
2. In frypan on medium heat, with coconut oil, pour batter all at once. Cook through.
3. Serve with fresh fruit poached gently in extra maple syrup/honey, chopped nuts, extra cinnamon and organic yogurt.
3. Scrambled Eggs
This is a household favourite with us, but basic scrambled eggs should not be forgotten. You can add lots of extras such as parsley, spinach, kale, chopped tomatoes, spring onions and so on. We use a little bit of organic butter and almond milk to make ours, pour into a pan and cook until nicely scrambled.
And now for the delicious part. As it is summer here in Aus, we have been getting up into the 40’s lately. The very best antidote to hot weather in lots of water, swimming and ICE CREAM! The best part is that ice cream can be made easily from frozen bananas blended with a bit of water and other ingredients. Although, as I unfortunately cannot stand banana, I also made some with nectarines and mango, which was delicious! Stay tuned for when Peta and I attempt peanut butter chocolate coconut milk ice cream…
4. Banana Berry Ice Cream
- 3 frozen bananas
- 3 cups frozen berries
- 1/2 cup water
1. Blend together in a food processor until smooth, soft-serve consistency is reached.
5. Mango & Nectarine Ice Cream
- 5 frozen nectarines/peaches
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 cup organic yogurt
- Water to blend
1. Blend all together in a food processor until smooth, add more water if necessary.
That’s all for now, but stay tuned for many more lovely summer, Christmas recipes and others!
Keep healthy, Erica xx