My mother is not a huge sweet tooth (I don’t really understand that concept too well…), but there are two things she loves – lemon and Cherry Ripes! These delicious, decadent chocolate bars are her favourites and so naturally she was the expert guinea pig when I created this healthy recipe. And the verdict….she loved them! So did my dad, a lifelong chocoholic, as did my sister and I. And trust me the satisfaction of making your very own, homemade, from scratch chocolate bars is almost equal to that of knowing that they are completely sugar, gluten, dairy and grain free, and vegan if you use maple syrup instead of honey.
The idea for this recipe popped into my head when I was making my first ever batch of Coconut ‘Bounty’ Bars, from Hannah at Health Yeah, when I realised all I needed to add was some cherries and voilà, Cherry Ripe. And so the only alteration I made to the recipe was adding frozen cherries, although fresh ones would be great when they are in season.
- 2 cups organic, desiccated/shredded coconut
- 1 cup organic coconut milk (full fat, not lite!)
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut oil/butter
- 4 tablespoons organic honey, maple syrup, coconut syrup (your choice)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup frozen cherries (depending on how ‘cherry-ish’ you want them)
- A pinch of salt (I didn’t have this, but it is meant to help bring out the flavours)
- 250g organic dark chocolate
- 5 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple syrup, coconut syrup (again, your choice)
1. In a saucepan mix coconut milk and coconut oil with sweetener, heat gently and stir until well combined.
2. Stir in the coconut and salt. Place this into food processor or blender with frozen cherries and pulse until combined. Press this mixture into a lined baking tray, make as flat and evenly spread as possible.
3. Place in fridge (or freezer if you’re impatient), until it becomes firm but not completely set. Take out and cut into bars, then return to freezer to freeze completely.
4. Either melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, OR, melt together coconut oil, cacao and sweetener until liquid consistency.
5. Remove coconut bars from freezer and cover them in chocolate one at a time, placing on a piece baking paper once covered. Place in fridge to set. Be patient…then enjoy!
What more can I say, get on it! Oh, and if you wanted to make the Coconut ‘Bounty’ Bars, there you are.
Keep healthy, Erica xx