I am currently enjoyed a lovely two week break from school, hence my absence from the blogging world. But I haven’t forgotten completely, I have been busy baking and creating and there are plenty of recipes headed your way soon! I shared a photo of this cauliflower soup on Instagram many months ago and here is the promised recipe…finally!
A steaming bowl of homemade soup in the depths of winter is one of life’s simple pleasures. I grew up with this cauliflower soup, as it is my Mum’s recipe. The original recipe used full fat cream to give a creamy richness, but in an effort to make it dairy free I substituted coconut cream, which worked out very well. Coconut cream and other coconut products are full of good fats and protein, despite being high in (natural) saturated fat. Remember: don’t be scared of fats, just know which are good and which are bad.
Cauliflower is a personal favourite of mine, as it is delicious, versatile and I loved it so much as a kid I once tipped a whole bowl of it on my head! Needless to say, Mum was not impressed… But give this recipe a whirl, it’s quick, healthy and yummy.
- 1 1/2 litres water
- 3/4-1 whole cauliflower
- 3 gluten free chicken stock cubes (or homemade chicken or vegetable stock)
- 4-5 spring onions/1 onion chopped
- 1/2 coconut cream
1. Boil with water cauliflower, stock, onion and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Turn down to simmer until cauliflower is soft (when you can stick a fork into it easily). Boil for another 5-6 mins.
3. Take off heat and blend using stick blender until smooth. Once cooled slightly mix in coconut cream.
4. Serve steaming with fresh parsley or coriander.