This is classic, homemade dessert to perfection. Quick. Easy. Simple. Only a few ingredients. Delicious. And best of all: grain free, gluten free, sugar free, vegan, vegetarian, paleo. Apple Crumble has been a family favourite for as long as I can remember and was one of the first desserts I really mastered. Except traditionally it was made from refined white flour, sugar, butter and a bit of cinnamon…not healthy at all, except the apples underneath. However, in scrolling through an extract from the Paleo Cooking From Elana’s Pantry I found a recipe that was very similar to the Apple Crumble I knew and so I adapted it to form this; the easiest, healthiest, yummiest apple crumble.
- 2 cups almond meal/flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp stevia (or to desired sweetness)
- Coconut oil – about 1/4 cup
- 6-7 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 oC.
2. For the apple filling, in a bowl combine peeled, cored and sliced apples, lemon juice and cinnamon and mix until apples are covered. Layer in either a medium sized baking dish or 4 individual pots.
3. For crust, in a food processor combine almond meal, salt and stevia (and some cinnamon if desired). Add coconut oil by the spoonful until you achieve a breadcrumb consistency and when you squeeze the mixture together it sticks into larger chunks.
4. Sprinkle the crust mixture over the apples in the dish or pots to create an even crust, leaving it as breadcrumb size pieces.
5. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve with whipped coconut cream.
Optional extras: add sultanas, dried apricots or raisins to the apples to give more sweetness and a different flavour.
Keep healthy, Erica xx