If I was a salad, I would be this one. It literally combines all my favourite flavours and ingredients in one perfect salad, that is equally good for you and delicious! Roast pumpkin. Check. Fresh avocado. Check. Quinoa. Check. Baby spinach. Check. Seared chicken. Check. Like I said, it is one delicious salad. One recipe makes about 4-5 servings of salad. Seriously, it is so good, and the yogurt dressing just tops it off to perfection. I am not really a huge salad lover, but I am coming round, and this is probably an all time favourite. I found the original recipe on the always beautiful and amazing Finger, Fork & Knife, check out Kate’s recipe here. Now for my version, my perfect salad:
Chicken, Pumpkin, Avocado, Quinoa & Almond Salad
2 x organic, free range chicken breasts
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups pumpkin, cooked and chopped into small cubes
2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
1½ cups quinoa, rinsed
½ cup Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup whole almonds, skin on
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Toss the pumpkin pieces in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pop into the hot oven and roast for approx. 25 minutes, or until lovely and golden.
2. Place quinoa in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the simmer over medium heat, and cook until tender (10-12 minutes). Drain, rinse under cold running water, drain well and set aside.
3. Place the chicken breasts in a non-reactive bowl and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the lemon zest and juice and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat.
4. Toss spinach leaves into a salad bowl.
5. Cut the avocado into 1cm by 1cm cubes. Add to salad bowl with spinach.
6. For the dressing, combine yoghurt with apple cider vinegar. Stir and season to taste.
7. To cook the chicken, place a non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat.
8. Drain chicken from marinade and grill, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer to chopping board to cool slightly before slicing into large pieces.
9. To assemble the dish, combine the quinoa and almonds to the salad bowl. Toss gently. Add the roasted pumpkin and chicken. Toss the salad together. Season to taste. Spoon over the dressing and divide between four plates. Serve.
Enjoy and let me know, what would you put in your ideal salad?
Keep healthy and happy, Erica xx