Yiros have always been a yummy meal to enjoy, messy to eat, but fun anyway. Who doesn’t love it when the sauces all run down your arms and your toppings fall out here, there and everywhere? It sounds pretty great to me, but unfortunately many store bought and takeaway marinades have gluten in them, as well as the obvious fact that yiros are wrapped in bread. But fear not, gluten free yiros are simple to make and just as delicious as their glutenous counterparts.
I found this marinade and garlic sauce recipe on a new blog, Coz She Likes To Eat, see the original recipe here. The recipe used standard pita bread, but by simply substituting that for gluten free wraps you can enjoy gluten free yiros. For the gluten free tabouli I simply chose to substitute in quinoa for cracked wheat, which makes it look like normal tabouli and it tastes great too!
Lamb Yiros Wraps
700g lamb, cut into strips
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tablespoon olive oil
70mL white wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon sea salt flakes
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
3 1/2 teaspoons paprika
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
2 brown onions, sliced
Garlic Sauce (I used a bought one, but I am sure homemade would be even more delicious)
300g greek yogurt
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Gluten free wraps
Iceberg lettuce, roughly sliced
Gluten free tabouli (recipe below)
Any other toppings you like
1. Add all ingredients for lamb into a container and coat lamb well before leaving to marinade for at least five hours in fridge.
2. To make garlic sauce, combine yoghurt, lemon juice and garlic. Leave in fridge for flavours to develop
3. Add extra olive oil to a fry pan and fry off lamb until cooked and tender.
4. Assemble wrap with toppings and lamb and a generous dollop of garlic sauce. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Tabouli
1 cup parsley, chopped
3/4 cup cherry tomatos, diced
1/4 cup quinoa, cooked and drained
1-2 spring onions, finely sliced
1. Cook quinoa and drain off water. Chop all ingredients.
2. Combine in a bowl and voilà, gluten free tabouli!