My wonderful friend brought this to school the other day and after one mouthful I knew I needed the recipe. This is a combination of a crunchy, toasted trail mix and a muesli, personally I think it would be great as either. It only takes about half an hour to whip up a batch, is quick, easy and you can add or subtract whatever ingredients you choose (or have in the cupboard!). This kind of trail mix is perfect for snacking on the go, to keep you full without having to resort to sugary, processed goods.
Toasted Trail Mix
- Puffed rice/buckwheat/quinoa
- Raw honey
- Coconut oil
- Dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- Sunflower seeds
- Linseeds/chia seeds/flax seeds
- Nuts (almond, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts or whatever you like)
- Raw cacao nibs
- Any other additions you would like!
1. Use puffed rice (or other grain) as a base, add in all other ingredients and bind together using honey and coconut oil.
2. Spread out on a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees Celcius) for about 20-30 minutes, until the puffed rice is toasted and crunchy.
3. Allow to cool and harden slightly before storing in airtight container.
NB. Try not to eat the entire batch before it cools….as I may have done with my first batch! Warning: it is incredibly more-ish.
What are your favourite trail mix additions?
Keep healthy, Erica xxx