Tea comes in many different forms, some which you may not be familiar with, or, if you are a tea junkie like me, many which you will be familiar with. Tea extends well beyond just your regular black or green tea, there are many different varieties and herbal teas. Tea is very cleansing and a great soul-warming, guilt free comfort drink. Each tea has its own special flavours and properties, so here is just a few and what they can do for you:
- Green Tea- green tea is the ultimate detoxifier, anti-oxidant filled and cleansing of all the teas. The health benefits of drinking green tea a few times a day seem to be endless and it seems like a new study comes out every day proving to us once again that green tea is powerful for boosting health. From preventing cancer, to detoxing, to increasing energy levels, promoting longevity and everything in between, green tea does it.
- Peppermint Tea– peppermint is a relaxing and fresh herbal tea which is also known to be an appetite suppressant, so when you get the sugar cravings mid-afternoon reach for a peppermint tea bag instead of a chocolate bar. I also find it is good for relaxing my stomach if I have eaten too much or something that doesn’t agree with me and it works almost immediately.
- Chamomile Tea- chamomile tea has very calming properties, it can help to reduce stress levels and works almost as a sleeping pill if you have sleep troubles (I drink a cup before bed whenever I cannot sleep). It’s flavour is delicate and flowery and not too overpowering if you don’t like your tea too strong.
- Rose Hip Tea- rose hip tea has anti-inflammatory properties and is good as a treatment for arthritis and inflammatory conditions. It is also known to stop the production of stress hormones.
- Rooibos Tea– rooibos tea is packed full of antioxidants (it’s up there with green tea) and many other vitamins and minerals including zinc, calcium and iron.
- Honey and Lemon Hot Tea– this is not a tea as such, but a long known remedy for the common cold. All you do is squeeze the juice of 1-2 lemons into a mug, add at least a tablespoon of honey (raw if possible) and add hot water. The result is a throat-soothing, cold killing and heart warming drink. It works via the combination of the vitamin C in the lemon juice and the anti-bacterial properties of honey, which helps to get rid of the infection. In fact, the other day I felt a cold coming on, I had two of these and the symptoms vanished!
There are of course many other varieties of teas you can find in the supermarket or health food store, including special combinations for particular ailments. Information found here.