I have always loved shortbread, possibly because Christmas is the only time we ever baked it, but nonetheless it is a traditional festive treat. It would have been more useful and appropriate if I posted this before Christmas, but here it is anyway. I used a recipe from a family friend and simply swapped plain flour for gf plain flour. The recipe is very simple, I would even go as far as saying it is foolproof!
Traditional Christmas Shortbread (GF, EF, Veg)
- 225g gluten free plain flour
- 115g castor sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 225g butter
- 115g rice flour
- Pinch of salt
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
2. Add vanilla.
3. Gradually add sifted flour and rice flour. Mix until like a firm paste.
4. Turn onto a floured board, roll and cut in Christmas shapes as desired.
5. Place on paper lined baking tray.
6. Cook in slow oven, 150 oC fan forced, for 45-60 minutes or until slightly pale brown.
Enjoy your post-Christmas shortbread baking! :)